Monday, March 7, 2016

December 2015 Swimmer of the Month

Ryan Marlovits (GREEN Crest 2)IMG_4608
Welcome to ‘Get To Know You!’ A time, place, and universe where we get to ask a lot of questions to get to know about who you are! Today, we are pleased to introduce to you Ryan Marlovits, a Blue Wave Swimmer of the Month! Ryan has been working hard on his strokes, and been improving his drive and effort in the pool. Ryan brings a great attitude with him every day, and that positive vibe makes him fun to be around, and he consistently sets the example with that attitude. Now, we all know that Ryan is one chill dude, so we want to get to know the man behind the cool. Dig deep into what makes the clockwork run. Discover what makes the man tick. And of course, learn about swimming through what he can teach us. Now Ryan, let’s start with the basics. You’re a swimmer, so you must have a favorite event .Can you tell us what it is? “My favorite events are the IM’s, because you get to do all the strokes, and it’s more fun to do the 200IM than the 200 free.” Variety is the spice of life! What has been your favorite meet to compete at this year? “My favorite meet was Turkey Claus, because it was at the University of MD and the pool is really nice, AND I did not have to get up early!” That is a super good reason. Every swimmer needs their sleep. Of course, there are a lot of meets where you need to get up early. Can you tell us how you prepare for those kind of competitions? “I try to get a good amount of sleep before each race. My mom packs me food to keep my going. I put everything out the night before so I am ready to go in the AM.” Be prepared! Excellent advice! Now, please share some more wisdom with us. Part of what defines us as people is how we overcome adversity, and how we take on the challenges that are set before us. They build our character. So Ryan, what do you feel is the most challenging part about being a swimmer? “Not getting frustrated and to keep trying when one race does not turn out the way I wanted, especially as I have gotten older and times get faster.” I could not agree more. It can be very frustrating when you don’t accomplish what you set out to do. But they key is how you react to the result. Will you learn from the experience and do better next time? Or will you give up? And the answer is… Learn!! Don’t get mad, get glad! Don’t get frustrated, get inspired! Now Ryan, what are some things you like about being on Blue Wave? “My coaches!!! My carpool!! My friends!! Swimming in the same squad as my brother!! I like swimming right after school, it helps me switch gears from school work!!” That is an exciting answer! Swimming is a shared experience with your team, and it’s great to have people you can train with. Speaking of training, what are some goals you have for this season? “To do a 500 free and make my B time on the first try! And do a 400 IM!” That is way cool! Taking on distance events! That endurance mindset is a great thing to develop! Plus, let’s be honest, the 400 IM is probably the toughest event there is (In this coach’s opinion!). Let’s get away from swimming for a moment, and get to know the man behind the pool. The man behind the goggles. The man behind the swim suit. What are some things your teammates might not know about you? “Well, that’s hard since one of my teammates is my brother (Laughter!), but I am a BIG Dallas Cowboys fan!!” Now that is something new! Stay dedicated my friend! What is your favorite food? “Donuts, bacon, steak, and ice cream!” Now that right there is a winning combination. I would like to have dinner at the Marlovits house if that is the menu! If you won the lottery, the big bucks, got a whole load of cash, what would you do with all that dough? “Get a pool in my backyard with a diving board.” I think there are a lot of people on the team who would do that too! Besides cheering on your Cowboys, what do you do when not swimming? “Soccer and running!” Again, building that endurance. Keep it up man! Are there any accomplishments you are proud of? “Making my travel soccer team!” Well congrats on that! Well Ryan, it has been a pleasure getting to know more about you. Keep furthering your swimming expertise! We will be looking for you in that 400 IM next meet! And Congrats on being a Blue Wave Swimmer of the Month! #SOTMRyan
Emma Broemmer (BLUE Breakers)IMG_4611
At this moment in time, at this very second, in this very universe, while you are reading this, Emma Broemmer, somewhere, is smiling. Guarantee it. Ever a light of positive energy, Emma has brought her happy attitude to practice with her every day, and is known for keeping a smile even when challenged. She has worked very hard, and her strokes have been improving quickly. We look forward to all she has to offer in the future. For now, let us stop, and while she is still smiling somewhere, get to know her a bit. Emma, please tell us, what has been your favorite meet this season? “The PVS November Open.” Open meets are indeed fun, as you get to see a vast array of swimmers competing in all ages and strokes. What are your favorite strokes and events to swim? “My favorite events to swim are the 50 free and 50 breast, because those are my favorite strokes.” That makes a lot of sense. Now I know swim meets can sometimes be intimidating at first, but they become more and more exciting with experience. How do you prepare to swim your best at meets? “To get ready for a swim meet, I try to get as much sleep as possible two nights in advance. I also try to eat a lot of carbohydrates. I like to play my races in my mind exactly how I want them to go. Another thing I do is I try not to get too nervous.” That is some of the best preparation I have heard! Sounds like you are making some great habits. And yes, nervousness will happen. When you want to do your best, you get anxious. But you know what beats anxiety? Excitement! Positivity! Channeling that energy into positive things, like visualization and staying relaxed. What do you feel is the most challenging part about being a swimmer? “For me, the most challenging part about being a swimmer is competing.” Well here is some more encouragement: You are on the right path! Remember those words you just told us about how you prepare, and keep working on them! What are some things you like about being part of Blue Wave? “There are lots of things that I like about being part of Blue Wave. The number one thing for me is the coaches. All the coaches at Blue Wave are amazing!” Well, not only are you great at smiling, you are great at flattery! Do you have any goals for this season? What would you like to improve on? “One of my goals for this year is to improve my time for the 50 free. I think I will achieve this goal by practicing the way I want to race with good technique.” Perfect practice makes perfect races! Moving on from swimming, what is something your teammates might not know about you? Any hidden talents? “I can play two instruments!” At the same time?? Just kidding. Although, maybe you have a new goal! What is your favorite food? “Pasta!” Food of champions! With lots of variety! If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? “The first thing I would do is buy some headphones.” Those would be the most incredible headphones in the world I am sure. Now besides swimming, what do you like to do? I am going to guess that you like to play your instruments? “I like to read, hang out with my friends, and play guitar!” I knew it! You may one day have to do a concert for us before you become rich and famous. Are there any accomplishments outside of swimming that you are most proud of? “Outside of swimming, I am most proud of the fact that I am a A+ student!” Congratulations! That is an accomplishment to be happy about! Final question, then you may go back to practicing your guitar. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? “I would want to be a giraffe, because I could see over the trees with my really long neck.” Giraffes are indeed very majestic creatures. Good choice. Well Emma, thank you for your time! Keep up the great work, and keep smiling! Congrats on being a Blue Wave Swimmer of the Month! #SOTMEmma

No comments:

Post a Comment